The Group's companies actively participate in the formulation and implementation of public policies capable of promoting sustainable development in the countries and regions in which they operate. These actions are carried out based on four directives:
- Transparent dialog with the Communities, governmental entities and with organized society;
- Helping to strengthen public institutions and civil society;
- Mobilizing and influencing, within its specific business spheres of operation, with a view to strengthening corporate participation and integrating different national and global policies that promote a balance among economic, social and environmental development;
- Coordinating partnerships and cooperation for sustainable development.
Members and companies of the Group participate in councils and agencies which focus on the analysis and formulation of public policies. Among these are:
- Council on Economic and Social Development, of the Federal Government;
- Latin American Conservation Council (LACC), of the non-governmental organization The Nature Conservancy (TNC);
- World Water Council;
- Sectorial Industry Plan for the Mitigation and Adaptation to Climate Change, with the Ministry of Development, Industry and Foreign Trade;
- Climate Forum – coordination of public policies on climate change in Brazil;
- Brazilian Business Council for Sustainable Development;
- United Nations' Global Compact;
- Active participation in recent United Nations COPs (Conference of the Parties) on Climate Change;
- Active participation in the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development - Rio+20.